PREPARE TO ENTER THE ABYSS
WITH LONDON'S EXPERT LED JACK THE RIPPER WALK
THE ABYSS AWAITS YOU - BUT DARE YOU EXPLORE IT?
It is the autumn of 1888 and a repeat killer, whom the world will come to know as Jack the Ripper, is loose on the streets of the East End of London. The people of the district (which has been nicknamed the abyss) are in turmoil, ever watchful lest the next flickering shadow, the next sudden movement in the dark, should herald the murderers return..
A TRULY ATMOSPHERIC JACK THE RIPPER WALK OF LONDON
Only by leaving behind the security of the 21st century and entering the labyrinth of alleyways and old streets where the murders occurred can you hope to gain an understanding of how the Jack the Ripper crimes impacted on the daily lives of the people who lived in the area at the time.
Only by seeing for yourself the intricacy of the street patterns, and learning of the appalling social conditions, coupled with dreadful crime rates in those streets, can you fully appreciate the challenge faced by the Victorian police as they fought a desperate battle to end Jack the Ripper's blood-soaked reign of terror.
Only by studying actual photographs that show the streets through which you will be walking that show them as they were in 1888, and by seeing how little some of them have changed, can you appreciate why it was that Jack the Ripper could just Walk away from the scenes of his crimes, without anyone so much as noticing him.
OUR JACK THE RIPPER WALK GIVES YOU ALL THIS AND MORE
Our expert led Jack the Ripper Walk includes all this and much, much more. Because, from the moment you join us for the tour, you will in fact be right at the heart of the area where the murders occurred.
Furthermore, we guarantee you a truly atmospheric route that covers the murders in more or less chronological sequence. In this way you really will get to see how the fear and panic, that engulfed the area in that long ago era of gaslight and terror, took hold and how it increased ten fold every time Jack the Ripper committed another atrocity.
HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR JACK THE RIPPER WALK INCLUDE
- The pub, in the basement of which, one of the major Jack the Ripper suspects worked in 1890.
- The sinister, cobbled alleyway where, at the top of which, the body of Martha Tabram - who some believe may well have been Jack the Ripper's first victim - was discovered in early August 1888.
- The corner on which Emma Smith, whose name is the first to appear on the police WHITECHAPEL MURDERS file, was attacked in April 1888.
- The former Frying Pan Pub where the first definite victim of Jack the Ripper, Mary Nichols, was seen drinking shortly before her body was discovered nearby.
- A wonderfully atmospheric warren of 18th century streets lined with houses that formed the backcloth against which the Jack the Ripper saga was played out. These streets have hardly changed, if at all, since 1888.
- The towering church spire that still looms over the district today - just as it did in 1888. It is a poignant reminder of that long ago autumn when you consider that every one of Jack the Ripper's victims would have looked up at this soaring white edifice on a daily basis.
- The old convent where Mary Kelly, the last victim of Jack the Ripper, reputedly sought shelter shortly before she was murdered.
- The tiny little doorway where the ONLY clue that Jack the Ripper ever left behind was found.
- The corner where an important witness saw one of Jack the Ripper's victims talking to a man just fifteen minutes before her body was discovered a few feet away.
YOU'LL BE WALKING WITH EXPERT JACK THE RIPER GUIDES
But, in addition to the atmospheric route that we take, you will also be in the company of expert guides who really know the subject inside out and who will be able to provide an authoritative insight into the murders as you explore London with them on your Jack the Ripper Walk.
COME AND JOIN US AND SEE FOR YOURSELF
So, if you want to gain a true insight into the mystery of Jack the Ripper and gain an understanding of the very streets where that mystery began.
If the thought of exploring those streets with smaller group sizes that enable you to actually get into the old alleyways where the mystery unfolded appeals.
If you want to be guided by experts who are familiar with every twist and turn of the mystery and who are able, and willing, to answer any questions you might have.
If you want to examine Victorian photographs that depict the streets through which you will be walking as they were at the time of the murders, and be able to compare those very streets to how they look today.
If you want to start your Jack the Ripper Walk of East London at the very centre of the district where the murders occurred and then be able to follow the Jack the Ripper crimes in chronological order through a warren of streets and alleyways that are still as they were in 1888.
Then make sure that you join the ONLY Jack the Ripper London walk that offers you all of the above and whose guides possess a truly contagious enthusiasm for the history and the mystery of this period in London's past.
Indeed, on our Jack the Ripper Walk, you'll almost believe that we've spirited you back in time. So be sure to stay close as you venture into the abyss.